Thursday, November 13, 2008

It's begining to look alot like Christmas

Saturday was one of those fairly nice autumn days, no rain, no sun either but also no snow on our roof top. We had no major projects planned so I calmly broached the subject of putting up the Christmas lights, to which I got no response. Nothing, not even a "Drop Dead it is my Saturday and I am doing nothing." So I went about my day and the lights did not get put up, but the seed had been planted.


The Man is great about putting up the lights; every year we have them, every year we enjoy having a festive looking house. The problem is that The Man always, and I mean always, decides to put those lights up when it is just getting dark, or the rain is coming down, or after the first snow so he is slipping around.
I hate that!!!!
I spend the time he is outside, inside the house straining to hear if he has fallen off the roof. So I send the kids out to make sure that Daddy is alright in this dangerous but necessary project.

I was gone most of the day today and when I got home this is what I saw.

The Man and Sweet-boy getting things ready to go on the roof. But first the house had to be decorated, the stairs, the hallway and all the second story with lights.

The Man bringing the first of many strands out onto the roof. Notice that we do not use ladders when going out an open window is so much more fun.

Sweet-boy going out on the roof to help his daddy. He was running around like a mountain goat and it was making me very nervous, but he also helped alot and I know that dad liked that.
(This picture is about a girl and a boy and with his dad. They were making their mom scared. She screamed and screamed for hours at home.) Sweet-boy told me to write this for this picture.

Drama Queen wanted to get in on the action so she also got out there with dad on the roof.


When the sun went down, I went out to check the progress and the kids were sitting on the very top of the house singing songs, watching dad get the last of the lights up. It was a beautiful sunset but the best part was finally flipping the switch and getting this.......


I love that it is beginning to look alot like Christmas.

10 comments:

Heather said...

Aww, I am a bit jealous. We had great Christmas-light-putting-up-weather here this week, too, but no such luck at the Kelsey household. Can your husband come over tomorrow? Or maybe you could send Enrique? He probably doesn't know the first thing about Christmas lights, but I'll bet I could teach him. About hanging lights, I mean.

What were you thinking?!

I love the way the kids are hugging each other on the last picture. Blurry or not, it's great!

Elena said...

Looks great! Jarom put our lights on ONCE. We paid big bucks for all the lights, used them one year and then we moved. This house's roof is just too steep and high and he just can't bring himself to do it. Maybe when we make our millions we're rent one of those electrical lift thingies and gets lights on the house again! So now, I just settle for candles in the window which is pretty too.

Aubrey said...

Come on, you didn't want the lights all over the floor? They looked pretty cool.
I just told Dan, "see? your brother put HIS lights up already."

We're still busy raking and raking and raking. We should have had a leaf party with all our cousins, but I forgot my brilliant idea until it was too late.

"The Queen in Residence" said...

A- Anything we can do to guilt him into doing it, my pleasure. Here is a hint - you really want it done, have D call and ask The Man to bring over our big ladder and then when he arrives D can just conveniently start talking and having him help untangle the lights. Any project is always better with 2. I'm just saying.....

Michelle said...

I'm so jealous! I ask my husband every day if we can put our lights up, and every time I get the same response, "It's too early!" Well, it's supposed to snow tomorrow in our neck of the woods, so I say, "It's time!!"

Wendy said...

Oh, I'm so jealous! The lights look GREAT. So do your two cuties. :-) We have such a cute house, but way steep rooflines and not enough moola this year to pay someone to break THEIR neck up there! LOL Oh well.

This is just a quick pop in to say thanks for participating in the giveaway over at my blog. I really appreciated your comments. Thanks for sharing what was important to you and the fun you have at Thanksgiving! So many cute things that people do...

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday.

EmmaP said...

i am afraid of heights! and seeing the kids on the roof, would have sent me over the edge!!! then again, i do know by now from reading about their adventures with snakes and "stair sledding" that they don't really fear much, do they?

Busy Lady said...

Too Fun!! I saw a Christmas tree up at someone's house a few minutes ago and I couldn't believe it, but I guess it is getting to that time. Maybe we will have lights this year, but then again maybe not. This house is just too crazy with activity. I think that it might be the year to get the teenagers to do it.... Cute pictures of the kids!

Kate said...

I love this time of year as well! The lights are one of my favorite things to see as you drive around at night running errands, etc.

Looks awesome!

Tiff said...

Wow what a hubby..I know I will be the one puttin the light up this year..as usual..lol...love the pictures!!! :)