Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Try-It-Tuesday

We have had so much sickness in our home as of late that I have been making this to help with sore throats. This is not just for when all are ill but also when you just want a good hardy soup on those cold and rainy days.
Chicken Soup with Homemade Egg Noodles.
Egg Noodles:
2 beaten eggs
2 tbl milk
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup flour (more to make less sticky dough)
Combine eggs milk and salt, then gradually add the flour until it is stiff to knead into a ball. Place on well floured counter and roll out till thin. Using a pizza cutter cut noodles, covering with flour and let dry for about 1-2 hours OR, I just roll them out, cut them and then roll them in extra flour so they are not sticky and slowly add then to the boiling soup one at a time and let them cook about 12 to 15 minutes. This makes them more dumpling in texture.
Items that you will need:
For soup:
Boiled chicken (as much as you like) torn into bite-size pieces
3-4 sliced carrots
1 cup frozen peas
1/2 onion chopped
about 1 tsp Dried Basil
Salt and Pepper to taste
about 1 tsp Garlic powder
Chicken Bouillon or broth for the soup
****
In a big pot, decide how much soup you want. I use a 6 quart stock pot and just about fill it with liquid and then add the bouillon to give it a good rich broth. I also add just about 2 tsp of beef bouillon to give it a richer taste ( do not make it too salty as the noodles bring in salt). Bring the broth to a boil, add the chicken, carrots, onions and boil till carrots are tender. Add peas, basil, pepper, garlic powder and again bring to a boil. Now you are ready to drop in the noodles. To thicken the broth I add the flour from the noodles and even more to make it more of a stew consistency.
Pair this with some crunchy french bread and you have a great fall dinner.

8 comments:

EmmaP said...

looks de-lish! i had no idea noodles were so easy!

Wendy said...

My sis made this for our family when we weren't feeling well -- including the homemade noodles. Talk about manna from heaven! It was good, and it did us good, too!

There's nothin' better than soups in the fall. Thanks for sharing this recipe!

Elena said...

My kids have been begging for homemade chicken soup this week. Can we come to dinner? :) My T-I-T will be posted Thursday this week I think. I'm a bit behind.

Heather said...

Oh, My.

This looks delicious.

I might have to break down and make my own noodles. I have never tried it before (I hate using a rolling pin. I'm not sure I even have one anymore. Hmmm...)

Don't you just love new recipes?

Busy Lady said...

Yum! You are making me hungry. Okay that is why your chicken noodle soup is always so much better than mine, you make your own noodles. Now the secret is out and I will have to try it.

Shauna said...

Yummy! Can I come over and share some with you please :)

Anonymous said...

FROM THE DAD, THIS IS RIGHT UP THERE NEXT TO PENICILLIN FOR BUSTING COLDS OR DREAY DAYS. WITH FRENCH BREAD(HOME MADE), & PEPSI, WHAT COULD BE GREATER. COUGH, COUGH.... LV DAD

Rhonda said...

wow this look yummy and fairly simple. I bet I could do it without screwingit up!

PLUS I can make this with my food storage stuff. I'm printing and putting it in my food storage file! thanks!