Friday, November 7, 2008

A little Football and a Great Man

DISCLAIMER: I cannot believe that I will be dedicating any time to the Ute's on my blog, but I fear that I must so that this all makes sense.
*****
I have no local University affiliation, I went to a community college, but since marrying The Man he has encouraged a very diligent campaign to support the University of Utah Football Team (UTES) as opposed to my parents' favored Brigham Young University Football Team (BYU). In Utah there is a definite division of love and hate where these teams are concerned. The Man graduated from a separate University so his love of the Utes' is something of a way to egg the father-in-law on.
*****
So today I asked to take my parents to lunch for an early celebration of my dad's upcoming birthday. He picked the place, a local Italian joint, his hang-out, I was ready for them to shout out "Norm" as he came in the door. We walked in and I knew that we were in for it by what was displayed on their "Specials for the Day" sign. Below the Grilled Cod and the Chicken Caccitorie was a proud statement:
GO UTES!!!
I knew that they were in trouble.
First, he asked for a blue pen, it was in the back.
Then he asked to see the manager, he was not in today.
Then he told them that they should be ashamed to have that there and promptly erased it.
All this as we are trying to get seated with all the workers coming to witness the commotion. In the end my mom and I kindly reminded them to make note of who's' glass they were spitting in was not ours........
*******
We order lunch and Dad gets' his usual pizza lunch meal and it looks great. I have to say that the service was amazing; someone came along to ask us how we were doing several times and then it happened.
The discovery!!
Under the pizza, there was a note, a partially eaten note that said........
My dad loved it!!!
He was up and in the kitchen in a flash and that was when the laughing really began. Fellow patrons got in on the joke and it was a regular celebration in there. As Dad put it, "the best birthday present I have had in a long time."
It was a great afternoon spent with two of my favorite people, that just happen to be my parents!

Dad, I love you so much for who you are; for the person that you helped me to become, for all the fun that I have when I am with you, and for loving my family with such devotion. I love that The Man can come to you and know that he will get support and counsel, and most of all understanding. I love that you gave me my tool box with the knowledge of what each tool did and helped The Man become my "fix-it" man. I love that you are always there to help in whatever way we need it. I love that all my greatest memories in my life have you in them. I love that I get to spend time with you, especially when we went to the Temple together. I love that you married your sweet-heart, your true soul mate, and work so hard at being eternally blissfully happy. I love that no matter what crazy thing we are doing that you are supportive and willing to help out. I love that you love me and I know it each and everyday.
Dad I love you so much!!!
Happy Birthday Dad!!!

9 comments:

Elena said...

Huh-larious! Yes, we are avid BYU fans here, but yesterday I found the men at my house rooting for the Utes. (Something to do with sharing conference titles or something?) There wasn't any cheering as the Utes won, just silent acknowledgements of a good game and smug little smiles as everyone went home. Happy Birthday to your Dad!

Anonymous said...

WOW, COULD ANY FATHER RECEIVE OR HAVE SUCH LOVE. 75 ISN'T SOOO BAD WHEN LIFE IS SOO GREAT. DAD

Kristen said...

Happy Birthday to your dad! We are a house divided here. Go UTES!!!

Tiff said...

Cute post! happy birthday to your dad!! :)

Anonymous said...

I live with the dad, and I can tell you that the little note to him in this blog was the best kind of birthday present a father can get. We had a great time at the pizza place yesterday and laughed our heads off all through the meal. Wouldn't you know it, the note from the waiters and cooks was under the last piece of pizza! So they had to wait for what probably seemed to them like a couple of hours for us to find it. We wondered why we were getting so much attention. The dad seems to incite a bit of a riot wherever he goes, and that makes our life so much fun - doesn't it? But we both love this daughter and her little family.

Anonymous said...

I live with the dad, and I can tell you that the little note to him in this blog was the best kind of birthday present a father can get. We had a great time at the pizza place yesterday and laughed our heads off all through the meal. Wouldn't you know it, the note from the waiters and cooks was under the last piece of pizza! So they had to wait for what probably seemed to them like a couple of hours for us to find it. We wondered why we were getting so much attention. The dad seems to incite a bit of a riot wherever he goes, and that makes our life so much fun - doesn't it? But we both love this daughter and her little family.

Busy Lady said...

Too funny!! I had no idea your man was a football fan, or liked any other sport than wrestling. I guess I learn something new every day. Your dad is such a fun guy, you are lucky to have him.

Elena said...

This song CRACKS me up! And I meant to say that you have some STRONG family genes running through your blood. You look just like your dad and your son looks just like you both! And I've already told you how your nieces look like you. So fun to see all the resemblences.

Caroline said...

What a sweet tribute to your dad! That was a good picture of you with your parents. I'm guessing that rivalry would liken the one between Duke and UNC (Tarheels) here in NC. Crazy!